1. Today should be mostly cloudy, with a high around 51, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 39, according to the service.
2. Along with clearing the roads and giving out water, the Town of Waterford did something else during Superstorm Sandy: it saved a group of baby pigs.
Waterford’s Secchiaroli Farm has a group of baby pigs, which the farm needs electricity to keep alive, according to First Selectman Dan Steward. During Sandy, power went out to the farm and the farm’s generator broke, he said.
Desperate, the Secchiarolis asked if they could borrow a generator from the town, Steward said. The town agreed after being assured the gas tank would be filled up when it was returned, he said.
The generator proved valuable and Secchiaroli’s pigs survived. To show his appreciation to the town, Jonathan Secchiaroli wrote a letter that was printed in a local newspaper thanking the town.
3. A big Patch shout out to the students and teachers in the career and technical training classes at Waterford High School.
Last week at the Board of Education meeting, the board recognized the teachers of the career and technical training classes – which includes classes like wood shop and home economics – after students ranked second out of 109 schools in Connecticut on the state's Career and Technical Education assessment this May. Superintendent Jerome Belair thanked each member of the faculty and they were given a round of applause by the board.
The test was given to 11-and-12th graders this past May. The faculty was presented a plaque for the achievement, which will hang in the new addition of Waterford High School when it opens in April.
4. Tonight, the Planning and Zoning Commission meets at 7 in Town Hall.
The meeting has a long agenda, including the commission receiving an application for a five-lot subdivision at 15 Laurel Crest Drive and a request by the Great Neck Country Club to improve and expand the country club’s parking lot. The meeting is open to the public.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1998, impeachment hearings began on President Bill Clinton following the Lewinsky scandal. And on this date in 1863, President Abraham Lincoln delivered the Gettysburg Address at the dedication of the military cemetery ceremony in Gettysburg, PA.
Quote of the Day
“Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.”
Trivia of the Day
Who is playing Lincoln in the recently released movie Lincoln?
Friday’s Answer: If both the President and the Vice President were to die, the Speaker of the House would take over as President.