1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 50, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 36, according to the service.
2. There are still tickets available for the Comedy Adventure Tour on November 16th at Port ‘N Starboard in Ocean Beach, a comedy show that also is a benefit for the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter.
The show features comedians Joseph Anthony and Billy Winn, and advance tickets cost $25. All proceeds from the event will go towards constructing a new Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter. The show starts at 7:30 p.m.
To buy tickets, visit the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter behind the Waterford Police Department.
3. Believe it or not, at 5:20 this evening Waterford Patch will turn 2. Two years ago today, a far-too-confident reporter and this great company launched this website. These last two years have been a challenge, a learning experience and most of all, the greatest job I’ve ever had in my life. I owe it all to you, the users of Patch, and hope you will stick around with Patch for years to come.
Thank you for everything.
4. Today, all schools in Waterford have early dismissal to allow for parent-teacher conferences. Also, there will be no school Monday because of Veteran’s Day.
On to the movies. Only one new movie opens this week at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas, but it is a big one. Skyfall, the newest James Bond movie starring Daniel Craig, plays at 3:20, 3:50, 6:40, 7, 7:25, 7:40, 9:45, 10:05 and 10:25.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1998, capital punishment is banned in the United Kingdom for all offenses.
And on this date in 1970, the United States Supreme Court voted 6 to 3 against reviewing a Massachusetts law granting residents the ability to refuse to be drafted into the military during an undeclared war. This law was passed during the Vietnam War, which was an undeclared war that Americans were being drafted into.
Quote of the Day
“Precaution is better than cure.”
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Trivia of the Day
We all now know who will succeed Connecticut’s Joe Lieberman in the Senate, Chris Murphy. But who proceeded him?
Yesterday’s Answer: Anchorage, Alaska has these three nicknames: air crossroads of the world, Chicago of the north and the largest city in the largest state.