1. Today there is a slight chance of showers, with a high near 83, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 69, according to the service.
2. It is September, which means there are no longer lifeguards at town beaches until next spring, and also no cost to get into town beaches, Recreation and Parks Program Director Kerry Sullivan said. Dogs are also now allowed on town parks like , although they aren’t encouraged, she said.
Sullivan also said the men’s basketball program will not start until probably January because of construction at Waterford High School. Men usually play basketball on Tuesdays and Thursday inside the high school gym, but the gym is under construction, she said.
3. Today from 5 to 7 is Oswegatchie Elementary School’s back-to-school barbeque. Quaker Hill Elementary School already had its back-to-school picnic, and Great Neck School will have its family picnic next Friday, which is September 14, from 5 to 7 p.m.
4. Today just one movie opens at Waterford’s . The Words, a romance starring Olivia Wilde and Bradley Cooper, plays at 4:35, 7:05 and 9:55.
5. On this date in 1996, American rapper Tupac Shakur was shot and killed in Las Vegas. And on this date in 1979, ESPN made its debut.
Quote of the Day
“Old age is no place for sissies.”
Trivia of the Day
What does ESPN stand for?
Yesterday’s Answer: The Connecticut state bird is the American Robin, and the Connecticut state flower is the Kalmia Iatifolia.