1. Today there is a slight chance of showers after 11 a.m., with a high around 64, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low around 52, according to the service.
2. A story out of East Lyme from our friends at The Lymes’ Patch that I thought was worth sharing.
Saturday was East Lyme High School’s homecoming dancing, although attendance dropped from about 700 students last year to 300 students, most of which were freshmen. Why? Because East Lyme High School now has rules on how students should dance after parents complained last year of students grinding too much on each other.
The actual rules were not clearly defined, with East Lyme High School Principal Michael Susi saying, “It's nothing cut and dried, it's just being appropriate. They can figure that out." Students complained and many boycotted, arguing that dancing continues to evolve and authorities should not stop that evolution.
To read the entire story, click here. A call for comment to Kevin Bacon was not returned.
3. Some good news. The 35th annual Jack O’Keefe Memorial Strides Road Race at Camp Harkness in Waterford, which was held on October 7th, had 504 participants, setting a new record for the event, according to The Bulletin.
Attendance was up 19 percent from last year, and proceeds from the event benefit The Arc of New London County programs and actives, according to The Bulletin. The Arc of New London County is a non-profit organization that helps people with disabilities, according to the organization’s website.
4. A few notable happenings going on tonight.
First, the Waterford High School band is putting on a concert at Clark Lane Middle School. The concert begins at 7:30.
The Chamber of Commerce of Eastern Connecticut is holding a “Business After Hours” event at the Raymour and Flanigan in Waterford Commons at 5:30. There will be drinks, hors d’oeuvres and an opportunity to network. Cost is $15 for chamber members, $25 for everybody else.
And also tonight, the Senior Citizens Commission meets at 4 and the Recreation and Parks Commission meets at 5. Both meetings are in the Waterford Community Center.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2001, Apple announced the iPod, later releasing the product on Nov. 10, 2001. And on this date in 1992, Emperor Akihito became the first Emperor of Japan to stand on Chinese soil.
Quote of the Day
“Happiness depends on ourselves.”
Trivia of the Day
Who played Diane Chambers in the show Cheers? Who played Rebecca Howe?
Yesterday’s Answer: President and former general Dwight Eisenhower warned of the Military Industrial Complex in his farewell address.