1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 83, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 64, according to the service.
2. Waterford Patch talked to Monday, and all, probably wisely, declined comment until after all the facts come out.
The head pastor of the church, the Rev. Dennis Carey, after state police seized at least one computer from the religious institution as part of an investigation into child pornography. State Police have said nothing more than it is an investigation and so far no arrests have been made.
Patch will continue to follow this story.
3. Good news for people traveling into the area this weekend for OpSail 2012 and Sailfest.
that the Connecticut Department of Transportation has scheduled 23 extra trains for the route between New Haven and New London. These trains will be in service throughout the course of the event, which runs from Friday through Monday.
“The DOT is pleased to partner with the OpSail 2012 CT organization to provide public transportation for this historic Connecticut event,” said Connecticut DOT Commissioner James Redeker. “These trains will relieve traffic on the I-95 corridor during this busy weekend and bring visitors right into the heart of all the OpSail activities.”
This marks the second time Shore Line East service has been expanded for the event. Last year, two special trains were scheduled to bring visitors to New London for the Sailfest fireworks display. These brought in a total of 550 people.
4. Today and other government buildings will be open. On Wednesday, all non-essential government offices will be closed for the July 4th holiday. Those offices will reopen Thursday.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2005, same-sex marriage was legalized in Spain. And on this date in 1863 was the last day of the Battle of Gettysburg, highlighted by Pickett’s Charge. The Confederate charge was unsuccessful, and many have said that was the turning point in the Civil War for the North.
Quote of the Day
“Make a habit of two things: to help; or at least to do no harm.”
Trivia of the Day
Who is the Greek god of war?
Yesterday’s Answer: President Barack Obama was born in Hawaii.