1. Today, snow is predicted for the morning, and rain in the afternoon, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, snow is likely, with a low around 33, according to the service.
2. At their last meeting, the Waterford Utility Commission suggested only billing two times a year instead of four, to cut down on workload, according to the commission’s February 19th meeting minutes.
According to the minutes, Waterford Utility Commission Chairman Peter Green said quarterly billing comes with an increase in “postage, additional administrative costs and work load.” According to the minutes, Green said the commission recently lost an office coordinator because of the overwhelming workload.
Green asked the commission to bring their “plus and minus opinions” to the March commission meeting, according to commission minutes.
3. Tonight, Waterford’s Zoning Board of Appeals will discuss a proposal by The Stonington Institute to turn 171 Rope Ferry Road into temporary housing for up to 144 men rehabbing from drug addictions.
At two public hearings on the proposal in January and February, neighbors came out in droves to voice opposition against the proposal. The neighbors have said that while they believe rehab is important, 171 Rope Ferry Road – a former nursing home in the middle of a residential neighborhood – is not the right place for the facility. The Zoning Board of Appeals has since closed the public hearing and could make a decision on the proposal tonight.
The meeting tonight is at 6:30 in Town Hall.
4. This evening, the Waterford High School pool will be open for open swim from 6:30 to 8 and for lap swim from 8 to 9. For much more information about the Waterford High School pool's schedule, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1876, Alexander Graham Bell was granted a patent for the telephone. And on this date in 1985, the song “We Are the World” was released, a song written by Lionel Richie and Michael Jackson.
Quote of the Day
“Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work at hand. The sun’s rays do not burn until brought to a focus.”
-Alexander Graham Bell
Trivia of the Day
Today is this man’s 53rd birthday, who is one of two men in history to hit a walk-off home run in the deciding game of the World Series. Who is he?
Yesterday’s Answer: Julius and Ethel Rosenberg were executed for passing along information about the atomic bomb to the Soviet Union.