1. Today rain is likely throughout the day, with a high near 67, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight showers are likely before 8, with a low around 56, according to the service.
2. Tonight there is an exciting event in Waterford as the high school football team will play its first home game on its new field, and will play its first game in Waterford since 2010.
A new artificial turf field was under construction in 2011, forcing Waterford High School’s football team to play all of its games on the road. The field was originally expected to be open for the 2011 Thanksgiving game against East Lyme, although the game was moved to the Coast Guard after school officials had some safety issues with the area around the field.
So tonight, the team will finally play at Waterford High again, taking at Plainfield at 6:30. And this is an important game for the team, as Waterford has dropped its first two games to Ledyard and Griswold and is in desperate need of a win. It won’t be easy thought as Plainfield is 2-0, defeating Bacon Academy and crushing St. Bernard/Norwich Tech in its first two games.
3. Dominion, owners of Waterford’s Millstone Power Station, is one of eight companies looking into building wind turbines off of the coast of Virginia Beach, according to The Associated Press.
The AP reports that Virginia is exploring the possibility of installing wind turbines 27 miles off of Virginia Beach, right on the ocean floor. Eight companies have expressed interest in the project, including Dominion, according to the AP.
The exploration is to see how windy that area is, and if the ocean floor can support a large wind turbine, according to the AP.
4. Three new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas.
Hotel Transylvania, an animated comedy starring Adam Sandler and Adam Samberg, plays at 4:30, 6:45 and 7:15 and plays in 3D at 4 and 9:30. Looper, an action about time travel starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis, plays at 4:15, 7 and 9:45. And Won’t Back Down, a drama rated PG starring Maggie Gyllenhaal and Viola Davis, plays at 4:40, 7:25 and 10:05.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1996, former Afghanistan president Mohammad Najibullah was castrated, dragged to death behind a truck in the streets of Kabul and then had his body hanged in public by Taliban soldiers.
And on this date in 1779, Norwich’s Samuel Huntington was elected president of the Continental Congress. Because Huntington was the president of the Continental Congress when the Articles of Confederation were ratified, few – including some in Norwich – argue he was the first president of the United States.
Quote of the Day
-Carl Spackler, aka Bill Murray
Trivia of the Day
Who was the first United States Secretary of State? For bonus points, who was the first United States Chief Justice of the Supreme Court?
Yesterday’s Answer: Olivia Newton-John played Sandy Olsen in Grease, and Stockard Channing played Betty Rizzo.