1. There is a slight chance of snow today, with a high around 26 and strong winds, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 23, according to the service. With the wind chill today and tonight, it will feel below freezing, according to the service.
2. A day after the Iowa caucus, it might be time for some to get ready for Connecticut’s presidential primary, which is on April 24. Any registered Democrat who wants to vote in the Republican primary must change his or her party affiliation by Jan. 24. Unregistered voters or unaffiliated voters can register as a Republican in person at the until April 23 at noon. Only registered Republicans can vote in the Republican presidential primary.
3. The repair of Jordan Cove Road has been completed, according to the . The part of the road that crosses over Jordan Cove and now has been fixed, just in time before asphalt season ends and plowing season begins.
4. Good news for state taxpayers, as state Comptroller Kevin Lembo is projecting an $83.7 million surplus in the 2012 fiscal year budget, according to the Associated Press. Lembo said the state economy has showed “slow and erratic growth,” according to the AP.
5. On this date in 2007, Nancy Pelosi becomes the first ever female United States Speaker of the House. And on this date in 1885, William Grant performs the first successful appendectomy (removing the appendix) on Mary Gartside.
Quote of the Day
“Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.”
Trivia of the Day
Who is the current Speaker of the House?
Yesterday’s Answer: In 1925, Benito Mussolini took dictatorial powers over Italy.