1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 40, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 27, according to the service.
2. Tonight, the Board of Selectmen meets at 5 p.m.
On the agenda is a request by Paul Altman, the board chairman of SEAT, for the "outstanding balance of $5,812 for services rendered by SEAT in (Fiscal Year) 2012."
Last March, from the proposed $41,000 SEAT budget for the 2012 fiscal year because it felt there was not enough information given to justify the amount. SEAT is now asking for that money, plus some, saying that is what Waterford owes as being part of the .
3. On Monday, Patch talked with Finance Director Rudie Beers, who explained why the town will never have a AAA bond rating.
Waterford has an AA bond rating, strong for municipality, which keeps the interest rates for the town low. This is particularly important for Waterford now, as it is bonding out more than $100 million for school construction, Beers said.
The reason Waterford's bond rating is not likely to improve to a AAA rating is because it is so dependent on one taxpayer, Millstone, Beers said. Bond raters are weary of giving a stronger rating to a town that is so dependent on one taxpayer, as that one business could leave or be shut down, Beers said.
Last spring, when the state was proposing to and Dominion was threatening to shut down the nuclear power plant, bond raters were calling Waterford’s finance office almost daily, Beers said. will only hurt Waterford’s bond rating, she said.
4. Today at 10 a.m. at the is Mother Goose on the Loose, a program that combines music, movement, books and language development to help children get ready to read, according to the library's website. The program is good for children 3-years-old and younger.
The program runs most Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10 a.m. and on most Mondays at 6 p.m.
5. On this date in 1981, Walter Cronkite retires as the anchor of CBS Evening News. And on this date in 1946, Ho Chi Minh signs an agreement with France that makes Vietnam an autonomous state.
Quote of the Day
“There are lots of ways of being miserable, but there's only one way of being comfortable, and that is to stop running round after happiness. If you make up your mind not to be happy there's no reason why you shouldn't have a fairly good time.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1964, Cassius Clay changed his name to what?
Yesterday’s Answer: Iron Maiden wrote “Aces High.” The music video begins with a speech by Winston Churchill.