1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 79, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 58, according to the service.
2. Wednesday night, the Board of Finance approved a $115,463 appropriation to remove and replace underground fuel storage tanks at the town’s five fire stations and add an electronic monitoring system on the fuel tanks.
The gas tanks at the stations are being removed because the fire stations will no longer have gas tanks to fill up the fire vehicles, according to Fire Director Bruce Miller. Instead, all the fire vehicles will fill their tanks at one of the town’s three gas pumps, to keep better track of consumption, he said.
The heating oil tanks will be removed because they are around 20 years old and will be replaced, Miller said. The tanks will also be equipped with monitors showing how much fuel is in the tank, Miller said.
3. The going will be slow along Route 1 in the East Lyme for awhile as road work started Wednesday.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation is repaving Boston Post Road from Flanders Four Corners in East Lyme all the way to Boughton Road in Old Lyme. The road work isn't scheduled to end until October 4.
4. The Waterford Soccer Club is holding its , entitled the "World Cup of Wines and Beers," on Friday, Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. at the
Tickets for the event are $40 in advance and can be bought at waterfordsoccer.org or $50 at the door, and people must be at least 21 to attend. All the money raised from the event will benefit the Waterford Soccer Club.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2001, commercial aircraft traffic resumed after being shut down for two days following the Sept. 11 attacks. And on this date in 1948, Republican Margaret Chase Smith was elected senator of Maine, becoming the first woman to be elected as both a senator and a member of the United States House of Representatives.
Quote of the Day
“May you live every day of your life.”
Trivia of the Day
What does TMZ in the popular website, TMZ.com, stand for?
Yesterday’s Answer: Robert Kennedy was 42 when he was assassinated.