1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 78, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 61, according to the service.
2. A new GEICO insurance office has opened at 711 Broad Street, across the street from and just past the New London border. The next closest GEICO office is in Newington, which is 40 miles away, according to GEICO’s website.
is holding a ribbon-cutting ceremony to welcome the new office on September 21 at 2 p.m.
3. Today is the Quaker Hill Elementary School at 4:30 p.m. at 285 Bloomingdale Road, featuring the popular children’s band !
The luau picnic begins at 4:30 and it will have hot dogs, desserts, crafts and games, along with live music from Steve Elci & Friends. The Quaker Hill PTO is asking for a $5 family donation.
4. A press release from our friends at the Waterford Police Department:
The Town of Waterford, through its contractor, Hastedt Brothers, is scheduled to be rehabilitating Lathrop and Upper Bartlett Roads in Quaker Hill, from September 5th through September 30th, 2012, weather permitting. The hours of operation will be from 7 a.m. until 5 p.m. daily.
The motoring public may experience delays occasionally lasting in excess of twenty (20) minutes. Alternate routes are suggested during this period. Thank you in advance for your cooperation and patience.
5. On this date in 1967, Thurgood Marshall was confirmed as the first black justice of the United States Supreme Court. And on this date in 1945, Hong Kong is liberated from Japan by the British.
Quote of the Day
“I dream for a living.”
Trivia of the Day
Hong Kong is now one of two special administrative regions of what country?
Yesterday’s Answer: Holden Caulfield is the main character in “The Catcher in the Rye.”