1. Today should be sunny, with a high around 73, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 57, according to the service.
2. A Waterford man is planning to sue the town of Stonington after being paralyzed in a motorcycle accident, according to The Day.
The Day reports that Christopher Quirk, 27, of 106 Spithead Road, is planning to sue the town of Stonington after he was struck by a Stonington school bus. The crash has since caused Quirk paraplegia, numerous broken bones, permanent nerve injury, a head injury and severe permanent injuries to his arms, according to The Day.
According to The Day, Quirk alleges that he stopped his motorcycle short on Pequotsepos Road in Stonington after a car had stopped in front of him. The breaking threw from off his motorcycle, and then he was struck by a school bus, according to The Day.
3. Tonight at 6:30, the Waterford High School football team continues its season with a home game against Bacon Academy.
After losing its first two games on the road, the football team won last Friday over Plainfield, 38-21, in the first game at Waterford High School since 2010. Tonight the team will look to keep its winning ways going against Bacon and even its record at 2-2.
Also a fundraiser for the Waterford Drama Scholarship Fund continues tonight at Ruby Tuesday. Click here for more information.
4. Three movies opened tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas. Frankenweenie, an animated film where a boy brings his dog back to life, plays at 7:20 and plays in 3D on 4:30 and 9:40. Pitch Perfect, a comedy about a girl joining an all-girls singing group, plays at 4:10 and 9:50. And Taken 2, a thriller starring Liam Neeson, plays at 4:20, 7, 7:30, 9:20 and 10.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1982, Johnson & Johnson initiated a nationwide recall of Tylenol after several bottles in Chicago were found laced with cyanide, resulting in seven deaths.
And on this date in 1970, in a piece of old news that has come relevant again thanks to the presidential debate Wednesday night, the Public Broadcasting Company (PBS) was founded.
Quote of the Day
"Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility."
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1962, the first James Bond movie was released. What was the name of the movie?
Yesterday’s Answer: Justin Bieber’s mom recently wrote a book entitled “Nowhere But Up.”