1. Today should start cloudy and then turn sunny by 11 a.m., with a high near 72, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy with a chance of rain after 2 a.m., and a low around 49, according to the service.
2. The Waterford Speedbowl has suspended driver Corey Larson for at least until 2014, after Larson rammed fellow driver Paul French into the wall during a caution lap last Saturday, according to The Bulletin.
The Speedbowl suspended Larson for the rest of this year and all of next year, at least, after the racetrack deemed he broke several track rules including improper use of a race vehicle on the racetrack with malicious intent, according to The Bulletin. Last Saturday, Larson rammed French into a wall on a caution lap after French hit Larson’s car during a SK Lite Modified 25-lap race, according to The Bulletin.
French, who suffered a broken wrist in the accident, said he was intending to pursue legal action against Larson, according to The Bulletin. To read about the entire chain of events, click here.
3. Tonight at 7 in Town Hall, the Board of Education will hold its regular monthly meeting.
The group will discuss last year’s CAPT and CMT scores and get an update on the new teacher evaluation system and the renovation of Waterford High School. Additionally, the Board of Education will discuss its goals for the upcoming school year and hear a report from Superintendent Jerome Belair.
The meeting is open to the public, and there is always time for public comment at the beginning of the meeting.
4. The New London Area Food Pantry, as it does every Tuesday and Thursday, is accepting donations of non-perishable food from 10 a.m. to noon. The food is distributed to needy people throughout New London County.
Also, the Waterford interfaith food locker is always accepting donations. To donate, bring non-perishable food to the receptionist at Town Hall during regular hours, which are 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. Happy birthday to Google, as the company considers this day in 1998 its birthday. And happy birthday to Mexico as well, as on this date in 1821, the country gained its independence from Spain.
Quote of the Day
“Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”
-Dalai Lama (by the way, the Dalai Lama now has a Twitter page)
Trivia of the Day
Who played Sandy Olsen in the movie “Grease”? How about Betty Rizzo?
Yesterday’s Answer: Barry Goldwater ran and lost to Lyndon Johnson in the 1964 Presidential Election.