1. Today showers and thunderstorms are likely, mainly before noon, with a high of 84, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low around 67, according to the service.
2. Tonight the Representative Town Meeting will vote for the municipal government’s largest union, Local 1303-037, a group that includes workers from the public works department, the recreation and parks department and the secretarial staff.
The contract would retroactively take effect in the 2011-12 fiscal year and run until 2014-15. The contract gives employees annual raises of 2 percent, 0 percent, 2 percent and 1.75 percent and gets concessions from workers on their health insurance plans.
3. The earnings of the Dominion Resources Inc division that includes fell in the second quarter of 2012 because relatively mild weather decreased the demand of electricity, according to The Bulletin.
Dominion Generation, a division of Dominion that includes Millstone Power Station, earned $152 million from April to June, down from $194 million in that same period in 2011, according to The Bulletin.
4. is asking people to donate to the Women’s Center of Southeastern Connecticut, as the group is running very low on basic supplies. The center needs body lotion, hair conditioner, body wash, laundry detergent, cereal, granola bars, juice boxes, cans of soup, flashlights and batteries.
To donate the items, drop them off Monday through Friday at 16 Jay Street in New London or call Susan Noyes at (860) 447-0366 ext. 207 to make other arrangements
5. On this date in 2011, a helicopter carrying members of Navy SEAL Team 6 – the same group that killed Osama Bin Laden – was shot down, killing 38 people. And on this date in 1945, the United States dropped an atomic bomb on the Japanese city Hiroshima, which killed 70,000 people instantly.
Quote of the Day
“A man’s kiss is his signature.”
Trivia of the Day
Great Neck Elementary School sits at the intersection of Great Neck Road and what other street?
Friday’s Answer: For an ear of corn, you throw away the outside and cook the inside. Then you eat the outside and throw away the inside.