1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 81, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 64, according to the service.
2. Monday, Patch got a very interesting phone call from a man named Tom Goodson, who along with his brother and sister are the heirs to the Stenger family that owned
Goodson had found Johanna Kaplan’s piece on this website, “,” and said “it brought him great joy.” He said he hadn’t been back to Waterford in more than 25 years and he missed it (he lives in South Carolina), and he wanted to bring his son to the park.
The history of the Stenger family is fascinating, and I recommend all to read Kaplan’s piece (). One of the Stenger’s, Nicholas Stenger, even created a potion in the late 1800s he said could treat everything from bronchitis to sore eyes to shot wounds, and doctors were trying to ban the potion because it would put them out of business.
Anyway, Goodson knew a lot about his family history and was very happy his family’s farm has been turned into a park. He even said he had a bottle of Nicholas Stenger’s potion. The Stengers sold the park to the town in 1979.
3. Monday night, a $271,619 appropriation for road rehabilitation and overlay of Dimmock Road, $99,000 to design the reconstruction of Douglas Lane and $246,700 to design the reconstruction of Jordan Cove Bridge.
Work on Dimmock Road should begin in the spring, work on Douglas Lane will happen later in 2013 and work on Jordan Cove Road might take a few years to complete.
4. Well, here is something different. Tonight at 7 there will be live music at McDonalds. The in the Stop & Shop plaza will have a
The restaurant will have live music again on August 21.
5. On this date in 2007, Barry Bonds and his ever-growing head hit his 756th home run to break Hank Aaron’s Major League record for most home runs in a career. And on this date in 1981, the newspaper The Washington Star went out of business after being in publication for 128 years.
Quote of the Day
“Money often costs too much.”
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Trivia of the Day
What massive and famous rock sits off the southwestern tip of Spain, and is actually owned by the United Kingdom?
Yesterday’s Answer: sits at the intersection of Great Neck Road and Goshen Road.