1. This morning should be foggy until 9, and then turn sunny for the rest of the day with a high near 77, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers after midnight, with a low around 59, according to the service.
2. Wednesday night, Tax Collector Mark Burnham reported to the Board of Finance that the tax collection rate for this July was slightly better than last July, which he said is hopefully a sign in the right direction.
Last fiscal year, the collection rate was only 98.45 percent, which means 98.45 percent of owed taxes were actually paid, Burnham said. Normally, that number is above 99 percent, as the down economy is preventing people from paying their taxes, he said.
However this July, 68.1 percent of all taxes have already been collected, up from 67.8 percent of taxes last July, Burnham said. The majority of taxes are collected in July as half of all real estate taxes are due, all personal property and motor vehicle taxes are due and Millstone pays its entire share, which alone is 30 percent of the total, Burnham said.
“It is too early too draw any conclusions,” Burnham said. “But maybe things are starting to improve.”
3. On Saturday, there is a bake sale and car wash fundraiser to benefit the at put on by the Shoreline Roller Derby girls.
The roller derby girls will be washing cars and selling baked goods, with all the proceeds going to benefit the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter, according to the group’s Facebook page. So help out a good cause, get your car cleaned and meet the always interesting roller derby girls Saturday.
4. Today, a new movie is released at Waterford’s and another is rereleased in 3-D. Resident Evil: Retribution, which is the fifth installment of the Resident Evil series, plays at 4:50 and 10 and plays in 3D at 4:20, 7:25 and 9:45. And the Pixar classic Finding Nemo is being rereleased in 3D, and is playing at 4:10, 4:40, 6:50, 7:20 and 9:35.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1994, the Major League baseball season was cancelled after the players went on strike. Luckily, the popularity of baseball would come back, thanks largely to steroid-infused players breaking many of the sport’s long-standing home run records. O well, its not like the sports world idolized these men and their bulging biceps, or made them out to be Greek Gods or anything….
And on this date in 1984, Joe Kittinger became the first man to fly a gas balloon across the Atlantic Ocean.
Quote of the Day
“Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be.”
Trivia of the Day
Who played Private Ryan in Saving Private Ryan?
Yesterday’s Answer: TMZ stands for thirty-mile zone, referring to the studio zone within a thirty mile radius of the intersection of West Beverly Boulevard and North La Cienega Boulevard in Los Angeles, according to Wikipedia.