1. Today, showers are predicted and afternoon thunderstorms are possible, with a high around 66, according the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 50, according to the service.
2. A Patch shout out to workers at the , who raised $595 to build according to Waterford-East Lyme Animal Control’s Facebook page. Nice work!
3. Not a Waterford story but a Connecticut story that I found interesting. Tuesday, Cory Maitz of Burlington was arrested for shooting a black bear after he saw the bear enter his garage and then go into his backyard, according to a press release from the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection. Maitz was charged with illegally killing a black bear, a misdemeanor, and criminal possession of a pistol, a Class D felony.
To read the full bear statute, click here.
4. Tonight, the Board of Finance will set the new tax rate for the 2012-13 fiscal year after the Representative Town Meeting The current tax rate is 18.79 mills, the new rate should be somewhere around 19.8 mills, according to Board of Finance member J.W. “Bill” Sheehan. That would equal roughly a 5.4 percent tax increase.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1866, the United States Congress eliminated the half dime coin and replaced it with the nickel. And on this date in 1868, President Andrew Johnson missed being removed from office by one vote.
Quote of the Day
“Do exactly what you would do if you felt most secure.”
Trivia of the Day
What are the names of the two old-man Muppets who would watch every episode from the balcony and make fun of the other characters?
Yesterday’s Answer: NYPD Blue featured Dennis Franz, David Caruso and Jimmy Smits.