1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 84, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 67, according to the service.
2. At their last meeting on June 19, the Board of Selectmen unanimously approved a $100,574 appropriation to buy and install a 150 kilowatt generator in . There will be around a $10,000 extra cost to tie in to Connecticut Light & Power’s system, although the exact dollar amount hasn’t been found so that will be added later, First Selectman Dan Steward said.
Steward said the generator itself cost around $50,000, and there is a lot of labor to install the generator. Right now, Town Hall has no generator, although it has yet to lose power since at least 2005, Steward said.
“You need to have services (if we lose power),” Steward said.
Steward said all five schools, all five fire departments, the public works building, the police station and the dispatch center all have generators. Steward said all the town’s servers are in Town Hall, which run on electricity, so it is important to ensure the building will always have power.
The generator will run on diesel fuel, he said. The appropriation still needs to be finalized by the Board of Finance and the Representative Town Meeting. Steward said at the earliest, the generator will be installed in October.
3. The Town of Waterford’s Department of Emergency Management now has a Facebook page, where they will post information about how to protect oneself from potential crises or disasters. The department also will post announcements during a crisis or disaster and give updates. To like the page, click here.
4. Everyone should be going to all the OpSail events this weekend, but there are two new movies opening at Waterford’s if anybody has time. Savages, a movie about a Mexican drug cartel, plays at 1:10, 4:20, 7:20 and 10:10. And Katy Perry: Part of Me, a movie where a camera crew follows around the pop star while she is on tour, plays at 1:30 and plays in 3D at 4:50, 7:25 and 9:45.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1947, the Soviet Union began to produce the AK-47 – the Soviet’s standard-issue rifle for its nation’s soldiers. And on this date in 1785, the federal government chose the dollar as the monetary unit for the United States.
Quote of the Day
“I want to live my life, not record it.”
Trivia of the Day
What was the name of Katy Perry’s first mainstream album? Can you name a song on the album?
Yesterday’s Answer: Oliver North was part of the National Security Council during the Iran-Contra Affair.