1. Today, showers are likely and thunderstorms are possible, with a high around 79, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 66, according to the service.
2. Just an update on the group committed to both improving and then hopefully rebuilding a new Waterford-East Lyme animal shelter, the
The group has raised $87,078.65 for a new animal shelter as of July 31, according to the committee’s minutes from their August 27th meeting. The latest batch of donations included $350 from Robert Yuchniuk Jr. who asked for donations to the shelter instead of birthday gifts, $350 raised at by Demi Gravell and other little amounts by Waterford and East Lyme animal lovers.
3. Thanks to the heavy rains Tuesday, shellfishing areas in Jordan Cove and the Niantic River are now closed. They will remain closed for at least seven days, although as many of the shellfish commissioners know,
4. Also, along those same lines, this year has increased the chance of people getting sick from harvested shellfish, according to a release from the Connecticut Department of Agriculture. The department is encouraging shellfishers to refrigerate their clams as soon as possible or put them in ice to decrease the chance of bacteria getting to the clams, according to the release.
5. On this date in 1836, Sam Houston was elected as the first president of the Republic of Texas. And on this date in 1698, Russia’s Tsar Peter I imposed a tax on beards of all men, aside from the clergy and peasantry.
Quote of the Day
“One man with courage makes a majority.”
Trivia of the Day
Who wrote the country song “Achy Breaky Heart”?
Yesterday’s Answer: Sherlock Holmes lived at 221B, Baker Street, London.