1. Today should be partly sunny, with a high around 45, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a 20 percent chance of snow after midnight, with a low around 31, according to the service.
2. On Sunday, Larry Cochran, Sr., was honored at the annual Elks Lodge ceremony in New London as Goshen Fire Company's Firefighter of the Year.
Unfortunately, Cochran could not accept the award, as he died in January at the age of 69. Cochran had been a fireman for Goshen Fire Company since 1959.
“Larry served us so well, and he was such a good person,” Waterford First Selectman Dan Steward said at the ceremony. “Certainly we thank the family for allowing him to be a part of our lives.”
Marcus Milukas of Quaker Hill Fire Company, Timothy O’Neill of Jordan Fire Company and Justin Sylvestre of Oswegatchie Fire Company were honored at the event as well.
3. Well, it is that time of year again for Waterford’s students.
Starting this week, all Waterford third-through-eighth graders are taking the Connecticut Mastery Test. The testing will continue until March 14th, which is next Friday.
Also, Waterford High School sophomores will be taking the Connecticut Academic Performance Test, starting today. Sophomores will be tested today, Wednesday and Thursday and then next Tuesday and next Wednesday. All Waterford High School freshmen will be taking the PCAPT on those same days as well.
4. Today at the Waterford Public Library, there is a computer class at 10 a.m., the James Bond movie Skyfall will play at 1:30 p.m. and at 7 p.m. there will be a science-fiction book discussion about The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip Dick. There are events at the library nearly every day, to see the full schedule, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1836, Samuel Colt made the first production-model revolver, the .34 caliber. And on this date in 1946, Winston Churchill used the phrase “Iron Curtain” in reference to the Soviet Union, a nickname that would stick around a few decades.
Quote of the Day
“The past cannot be cured.”
Trivia of the Day
Today is Penn Jillette’s 58th birthday. What is the full name of Jillette’s longtime partner?
Yesterday’s Answer: French King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette were executed in 1793.