1. A relatively nice Labor Day. Today should be sunny, with a high near 76, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 64, according to the service.
2. Happy Labor Day! And everything is closed. No school today, and non-essential government offices like Waterford Town Hall and all post offices are closed, among other places. So, enjoy the day.
3. Scrolling around the Internet, we found the official music video of Waterford's Veronica Ballestrini's latest single, "Don't Give Up On Me." It's pretty good.
Ballestrini, 20, was born in New London was raised in Waterford, and thrust herself on the national country stage when she was still in high school. For more on her, click here.
4. Waterford's Eugene O'Neill Theater Center will start accepting applications on September 17 for the National Playwrights Conference.
The submissions are open to all unproduced plays, and will be accepted through October 24, and there is a $35 submission fee. To submit a play, click here.
The National Playwrights Conference is an annual event held at the Eugene O'Neill in the summer.
5. On this date in 1999, an 87-automobile pile-up happened in Ontario, Canada, thanks to some very thick fog. And on this date in 1777, the American flag was flown in battle for the first time during the American Revolutionary War.
Quote of the Day
“The more laws, the less justice.”
-Marcus Tullius Cicero
Trivia of the Day
Who was the president when South Carolina seceded in 1860?
Friday’s Answer: Prince William and Catherine Middleton were married on April 29, 2011.