1. Today should be sunny, with a high around 52, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 47, according to the service.
2. Tuesday night, the Board of Selectmen approved acquiring a half-acre parcel of land – 325b Boston Post Road – from Karen Gilday.
The property is assessed at $4,760, and it will be donated to the town for no cost as a tax-deductible gift. The piece of property is connected to two other pieces of property the town already owns, 325a Boston Post Road and 36 Manitock Hill Road. First Selectman Dan Steward said by having this piece of property, there is a better chance of the town unloading all three pieces of property in one sale.
The acquisition still needs to be approved by the Representative Town Meeting.
3. According to an announcement posted on this website, a man named Jeff B said he found a grey and black tiger-stripped cat in the vicinity of St. Ann’s Church on Cross Road and is looking for the owner. Jeff said the cat is very domesticated and friendly. If you have lost the cat, contact Jeff (perhaps by writing a comment on his announcement on this website) and let him know.
4. Also at the Board of Selectmen meeting Tuesday night, the group appointed Eugene Brennan as a community representative on the Youth Services Advisory Council, reappointed Joseph Auwood to a five-year term on the Planning and Zoning Commission and re-appointed David Benvenuti, George Harran, Gerald Holmberg and James Hamsher to the Flood and Erosion Control Board.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1931, Al Capone was convicted of income tax evasion, and was sentenced to 11 years of prison – the longest sentence at the time for income tax evasion. And on this date in 1933, Albert Einstein fled Nazi Germany and moved to the United States.
Quote of the Day
“This American system of ours, call it Americanism, call it capitalism, call it what you will, gives each and every one of us a great opportunity if we only seize it with both hands and make the most of it."
Trivia of the Day
Who played Capone in the 1987 movie The Untouchables?
Yesterday’s Answer: The four current judges on The X Factor are L.A. Reid, Simon Cowell, Demi Lovato and Britney Spears.