1. Today there is a chance of rain, with a high near 60, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of drizzle or rain, with a low around 46, according to the service.
2. Monday, at the Board of Education meeting, Superintendent Jerome Belair said the school district has saved $550,000 in its health insurance line within the 2012-13 budget, a savings that could be returned to the town at the end of the year.
There were several reasons for the savings, Belair said. First, 54 district employees shifted to a Heath Savings Account form of health insurance, which is significantly cheaper than traditional insurance, he said.
Second, several district employees had their own health insurance plans and their spouse had their own health insurance plans. After some meetings with employees, the administration told the employees “they really only need one plan,” Belair said.
Additionally, the Board of Education has negotiated tougher health insurance plans where employees pay more in co-pays and for the overall cost of insurance, Belair said. All of that has kept costs down, he said.
3. Belair and First Selectman Dan Steward this week announced the hiring of Joyce Sauchuk as the town’s next director of human resources.
Sauchuk will take over on November 15, and will replace Adrienne DeLucca, who left after just a few months on the job. Sauchuk has 20 years of experience as a human resources manager, and last was at the Town of Groton where she was the key administrator in all labor negotiations and mediations, according to an e-mail from Steward.
Unlike some other towns, Waterford has its human resources director oversee both Board of Education and municipal government employees, or more than 600 people.
4. Patch has undergone some technical issues, as apparently some people have been unsubscribed from our daily e-mail, or newsletter, which means they miss out on all of our great news and information.
Obviously, this is tragic. But fear not it, it is easily corrected. To sign up for the newsletter again, simply click here. You can sign up for the daily e-mail, which is akin to our newspaper, breaking news alerts and/or the weekly e-mail, which is essentially akin to a weekly newspaper.
And if you aren’t signed up, it is pretty handy. It is like a free newspaper sent to your inbox every day, of all the interesting things going on in Waterford. In fact, it is so great, we run a daily promotion for it right below this sentence...
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1947, Walt Disney testified before Congress, where he named Disney employees he believed to be communist. And this Tuesday in 1929 was known as “Black Tuesday,” where the stock market crashed. The event would send the United States into the Great Depression.
Quote of the Day
“Fans don’t boo nobodies.”
Trivia of the Day
What Republican candidate for president suggested a “9-9-9” tax plan?
Yesterday’s Answer: In the show Cheers, Diane Chambers was played by Shelley Long and Rebecca Howe was played by Kirstie Alley.