1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 53, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 34, according to the service.
2. Here is a great chance for entertainers of all kinds to gain some exposure.
The Crystal Mall is looking for entertainers this holiday season, including choirs, dance teams, performers, musicians and bands, according to the Crystal Mall’s Facebook Page. If you are interested, call the mall at (860) 442-8501.
Another way to gain exposure is to blog on Patch (you could post videos of your band or the upcoming dates of your concerts, as examples). To sign up, e-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Fr. Dennis Carey, the former head pastor of Waterford’s St. Paul in Chains Rectory, will appear in court today on a charge of first-degree child pornography.
Carey was arrested in July after police found more than 300 files of child pornography on several of Carey’s computers within the rectory. Carey has since put in a plea of not guilty while he has been spending time in a mental health institution.
While his original plea was not guilty, it could change as his lawyer and the state work out an agreement on a sentence. Today he appears in New London Superior Court at 10 a.m.
4. Today just one movie opens at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas, but it is a big one. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, which is part of the immensely popular vampire romance series, plays at 4, 4:30, 4:45, 6:45, 7, 7:30, 7:45, 9:30, 10 and 10:30.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1938, Swiss chemist Dr. Albert Hofmann first created LSD. Hofmann, who lived to 102, frequently used the drug throughout his life, describing it as “medicine for the soul.” And on this date in 1914, the Federal Reserve Bank of the United States officially opened.
Quote of the Day
“If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
Trivia of the Day
If both the President and Vice President were to die, who would take over as President of United States?
Yesterday’s Answer: The two people who hosted The Daily Show are Jon Stewart and Craig Kilborn.