1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 83, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be cloudy, with a low around 67, according to the service.
2. Eblens opened within the about two weeks ago, according to the mall's Facebook page. Eblens describes itself on its website as New England's largest independently owned retailer in urban clothing and footwear.
3. At the Waterford Personnel Review Board meeting on August 20th, the group voted to give annual raises of 2 percent, 0 percent, 2 percent and 1.75 percent to non-union AS and non-union TC employees, according to meeting minutes.
These employees include some people who work in the library along with some temporary workers for the Recreation and Parks Department, among others, First Selectman Dan Steward said. The wage increases come with concessions in employees' benefits, according to meeting minutes.
The salaries and benefit concessions follow the recently settled contract with the , Local 1303-037, Steward said. It has been customary for those employees to follow the Local 1303 contract, he said.
4. Three new movies open tonight at Waterford’s . Lawless, a drama starring Shia LaBeouf as a bootlegger, plays at 4:15, 7 and 9:40. The Oogieloves in the Big Balloon Adventure, a family animated film, plays at 4:10 and 6:50. And The Possession, a horror about “a dislocated spirit that inhabits and ultimately devours its human host” plays at 4:25, 7:10 and 10.
5. On this date in 1888, Jack the Ripper murders his first confirmed victim. And on this date in 1897, Thomas Edison patented the Kinetoscope, the world's first movie projector.
Quote of the Day
"A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy."
Trivia of the Day
What month did Prince William and Catherine Middleton get married in?
Yesterday’s Answer: Hong Kong is a special administrative region of China.