1. Today rain is likely, with a high near 76, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of rain, with a low around 57, according to the service.
2. A Waterford man who is accused of robbing a convenience store in Norwich last year rejected a plea deal of 10 years in prison, saying he wanted "something that's more reasonable," according to The Bulletin.
Harold Montgomery, 25, of Waterford was charged with two counts of violation of probation and a charge of first-degree robbery last year, according to The Bulletin. Montgomery allegedly robbed GMS Mart in Norwich with a .22 caliber handgun last summer, according to the newspaper.
With the rejection, Montgomery's case will go to trial, according to The Bulletin.
3. Constancia Malahias, a student at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University, hopes the public will help her win a $25,000 college scholarship in the Bridgestone Americas Teens Drive Smart Video Contest.
The Waterford native is one of 10 contestants whose videos have been selected in the national scholarship competition. The contest challenges 16-to 21-year old students to create short videos about safe driving and ways to make better decisions behind the wheel. Malahias’ video was chosen from 2,322 entries received by Bridgestone Americas.
For the full story and to watch the hilarious and creative video,
4. Today, The Dark Knight Rises opens at Waterford’s (!!!!!!!). The movie plays at 10 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 11:10 a.m., 11:40 a.m., 12:10 p.m., 2:50 p.m., 3:20 p.m., 3:50 p.m., 6:05 p.m., 7 p.m., 7:30 p.m., 8 p.m., 10:10 p.m. and 10:40 p.m.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. A day of firsts. On this date in 1968, the first Special Olympics were held. And on this date in 1903, Ford Motor Company shipped its first car.
Quote of the Day
“A friend is someone who gives you total freedom to be yourself.”
Trivia of the Day
Who played Jim Morrison in the movie The Doors?
Yesterday’s Answer: The smallest country in the world is Vatican City.