1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 77, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 43, according to the service.
2. Tonight, the Waterford Utility Commission will render a decision on a delinquent bill by the Waterford Soccer Club that could be as high as $7,444.07.
The soccer club has not paid for sewer in some time because the charge it has been getting by the utility commission is being disputed, Club President Gregg Swanson said. The commission charges sewer rates based off of how much water an entity uses, but that number was inaccurate for the soccer club because most of the water it was using was for watering the soccer fields. After some debate, the commission installed a second meter on the building on the field, so it measures just the amount of water used that actually goes in the sewer system instead of the entire amount, according to Utility Commission Chief Engineer Neftali Soto.
However, at the last meeting, the utility commission said the soccer clubs owes $7,444.07 in back charges, which includes $1,700 in interest charges, according to utility commission meeting minutes. Originally, the amount was expected to be $4,600, according to the minutes. Swanson is meeting with the commission tonight to decide on the bill.
3. Tonight, the School Building Committee meets to discuss and vote on 41 potential change orders Often, many of the change orders are charged back to the architect as oversights.
4. Today is the last day for people to submit their income taxes before penalty.
5. On this date in 1961, a group of CIA-trained Cuban exiles land at the Bay of Pigs in Cuba and attempt to overthrow Fidel Castro. The mission was unsuccessful. And on this date in 1970, Apollo 13 landed on Earth safely after the spacecraft suffered severe technical difficulties during its failed trip to the moon.
Quote of the Day
“Fettuccini alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults.”
Trivia of the Day
What animal would Hannibal’s forces famously use in battle?
Yesterday’s Answer: P.T. Barnum said, “There’s a sucker born every minute.”