1. Today, there is a slight chance of showers, with a chance of thunderstorms in the afternoon and a high near 78, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 60, according to the service.
2. First Selectman Dan Steward, a Republican, has endorsed fellow Republican and East Lyme First Selectman Paul Formica , a seat currently held by Democrat Joe Courtney.
Along with endorsing Formica, Steward has also held a small fundraiser on Formica's behalf. Steward said he and Formica have been friends “for a long time,” and he is a “credible” candidate to compete against Courtney.
Steward said Courtney has done a good job, but there is "a need for an alternative, and Paul (Formica) provides a credible (alternative).” He praised Formica for his business background (Formica runs Flanders Fish Market) and said he has done a very good job as first selectman of East Lyme.
3. On Monday, State Sen. Andrea Stillman, D-Waterford, received the biennial Senator Chris Dodd Award from the Connecticut AFL-CIO for her support of the state’s labor unions, according to a Stillman press release.
“I’m grateful to the Connecticut AFL-CIO for this recognition today and for all its efforts to secure meaningful employment for Connecticut residents in a safe, respectful work environment,” Stillman said in a release. “A vibrant Connecticut economy and stable Connecticut families depend upon good jobs with fair wages for Connecticut workers.”
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
4. Charitable organizations providing service to the towns of Waterford, East Lyme, Groton, Ledyard, Lyme, Montville, New London, North Stonington, Old Lyme, Salem and Stonington are invited to apply for grants through the Women & Girls Fund southeast-area chapter, the Community Foundation of Eastern Connecticut has announced.
According to an email to Patch, CFECT has issued a request for proposals and they must be postmarked by Aug. 15. Those interested in applying can contact Jennifer O'Brien at 860-442-3572 or at JennOB@cfect.org.
5. On this date in 1967, the world’s first ATM was installed in Enfield Town, England. And on this date in 1844, Joseph Smith, who created the Latter Day Saint movement, and his brother were murdered by a mob in an Illinois jail.
Quote of the Day
“It is good not to have the rule of many.”
Trivia of the Day
What country produces the most coffee?
Yesterday’s Answer: The Cyclone, a wooden roller coaster at Coney Island, was declared a New York City landmark in 1988.