1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 75, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 56, according to the service.
2. The has announced that Dressbarn will be opening in the mall in October.
"We are happy to offer women yet another fashion option at Crystal Mall," Mall Manager Karen Tarantino said in a mall press release. “Dressbarn adds clothing and accessories that are stylish and trendy at comparative prices.”
Dressbarn sells dresses and other clothes and accessories for women, and is set to open in early October, according the release. The store will open on the upper level across from Bath & Body Works, according to the release.
3. Millstone Nuclear Power Plant's plans to expand its have some East Lyme residents concerned. East Lyme First Selectman Paul Formica said he met earlier this week with members of Black Point Beach Association who were interested in forming a fact-finding committee to learn more about the proposal.
Formica said he suggested this committee be opened up to any local residents who are interested in learning more. He also asked East Lyme Board of Selectmen members if they felt the town should be a party to the siting committee's decision on the matter. "I think this is something we should get more involved in," he said.
In the end, the general consensus was that there was probably no possibility of stopping Millstone from moving forward and members agreed their aim was not to halt it. Without a national nuclear waste disposal facility, they noted, the plant has no alternative but to reluctantly expand its on-site waste storage.
At the suggestion of Selectwoman Rose Ann Hardy, the Board of Selectmen did agree to send letters to Congressman Joe Courtney and Senators Richard Blumenthal and Joe Lieberman expressing their frustration that there has been no action to address this problem at the federal level since plans to construct a national nuclear waste storage facility at Yucca Mountain in Nevada were scrapped.
4. Today at the , the children’s section is hosting Little Listeners at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
Little Listeners features books, lapjops, fingerplays, flannel board, music and movement, and is meant for children 3 and under, according to the library’s website. The event runs most Mondays and Wednesdays at 10 a.m. and 11 a.m.
5. On this date in 1960, Abebe Bikila became the first sub-Saharan African to win the Olympic gold medal in the marathon, and he won it running in bare feet. And on this date in 2001, Charles Ingram won one million pounds on the English version of the show "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire." Ingram was later found to have cheated during the game.
Quote of the Day
“Everyone will be famous for 15 minutes.”
Trivia of the Day
Who is the representative for Texas’s 14th congressional district?
Friday’s Answer: ESPN stands for the Entertainment and Sports Programing Network.