1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 66, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be partly cloudy, with a low around 50, according to the service.
2. Where does this sound familiar?
The Town of Griswold has refused to pay its last two years of dues to Southeastern Area Transit, Southeastern Connecticut’s public transportation system, or $13,544 overall, according to The Bulletin. Griswold cut the funding two years ago, and has never paid it since, according to The Bulletin.
SEAT collects a certain percentage of its funds from the towns it serves, which includes Griswold and Waterford. Waterford tried to pay less than what SEAT asked for last year, and SEAT threatened Waterford with a lawsuit – a tactic First Selectman Dan Steward called “a bully move.” Waterford eventually paid SEAT.
Well, now SEAT is threatening Griswold with a lawsuit, saying they are legally obligated to pay, according to The Bulletin. SEAT Chairman Paul Altman also said there is a chance SEAT will have to drive through Griswold without picking anybody up, according to The Bulletin.
3. Some news from the group trying to build a new Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter. First off, the group has raised an astonishing $92,034.95, according to the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Control’s Facebook page. They did have one large donation, but other than that it has basically been a variety of little fundraisers driven by the determination of the group.
And speaking of fundraisers, the group is having a big fundraiser Saturday night. The group is hosting a pasta dinner at the Waterford VFW from 4 to 8 p.m., complete with homemade pasta sauce. Tickets for the event are $10 for adults and $5 for children in advance, $11 for adults and $6 for children at the door. Advanced tickets can be bought at the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter.
4. Three new movies open tonight at Waterford’s Regal Cinemas. Chasing Mavericks, which is based on the true adventures of big-wave surfer Jay Moriarity, plays at 4:05, 7:05 and 9:50. Fun Size, which is about a boy who gets lost trick-or-treating, plays at 4, 6:55 and 9:10. And Silent Hill: Revelation, a horror, plays at 4:10 and 9:40 and plays in 3D at 7:10.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2001, the United States government passed the USA Patriot Act into law. And on this date in 1861, the Pony Express, which used to be the way the country delivered mail, officially ceased operation.
Quote of the Day
“Lovers have the right to betray you… friend’s don’t.”
Trivia of the Day
On this date in 1881 was the Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. The gun fight was between outlaws Billy Clanton, Tom McLaury and Frank McLaury against what four men (you get credit if you can name three of the four)?
Yesterday’s Answer: The Chicago Bears play their home games at Soldier Field.