1. Hot day ahead. Today should be sunny, with a high near 95, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms between midnight and 3 a.m., with a low around 69, according to the service. It should cool down Friday.
2. Next week, Superintendent Jerome Belair and members from JCJ Architecture will meet with the state’s bureau of school facilities unit to try to get much of the work on the Waterford High School project qualified as renovate-as-new status,
The town received a 34 percent reimbursement rate from the state on the new construction associated with the school project. However, the town did not originally apply for renovate-as-new status on work being done on the existing building, meaning local taxpayers paid for all of that work themselves. The town later got new state legislation to let them retroactively apply for renovate-as-new status on the $10 million of work on the existing building, meaning they could get up to 34 percent state reimbursement on that money.
Belair and the project architects will meet with the state next week to try to get as much qualified as possible as renovate-as-new. Belair estimated the town could get back $3.4 million from the state in a best-case scenario, which would decrease the amount of bonding necessary for the project.
3. Today there will be a groundbreaking ceremony by Lawrence + Memorial Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute at Parkway South, where the two entities will build
L + M and Dana Farber representatives will give speeches about the new facility, along with local government officials. There will be a quick groundbreaking ceremony at the site on Parkway South at 3:30 and then there will be a reception at Sonalyst Studios at 215 Parkway North at 4:30.
4. There is a tip-a-firefighter event tonight at in Waterford Commons put on by the Waterford Fire Fighters Union to benefit the Muscular Dystrophy Association.
Much like the , at tip-a-firefighter firefighters will work alongside waiters and serve patrons. People will be able to give extra money beyond their normal bill to Waterford firefighters, who will donate the money to the
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1982, John Hinckley was found not guilt by reason of insanity for his attempted assassination of United States President Ronald Reagan. And on this date in 1898, the United States captured Guam from Spain.
Quote of the Day
“To be alive at all involves some risk.”
Trivia of the Day
Who created "The Sopranos"?
Yesterday’s Answer: Robert Parish holds the NBA record with 1,611 games played.