1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 71, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low around 58, according to the service.
2. A big-time Patch shout out to the roller derby ladies and all the volunteers who put on a car wash and bake sale to benefit the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter Saturday.
The effort raised $934 for the animal shelter, with some people just driving by and giving the group money for the shelter, according to the Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter’s Facebook page. One woman paid $150 to get her car washed, when the asking price was $10, according to the Facebook page.
3. At their September 10 meeting, the Police Commission unanimously approved putting a no parking zone along the exit route of the Waterford Beach parking lot, per request of the Waterford Recreation and Parks Department, according to meeting minutes.
4. Tonight, the Personnel Review Board meets at 6:30 to consider adding another position to the Waterford Utility Commission.
It has been a long time since Waterford has added another position to any municipal department, First Selectman Dan Steward said. The commission is looking to add a lead operator position, and will have to get approval by the PRB tonight to do so.
5. On this date in 2011, the Occupy Wall Street movement began in Zucotti Park in New York City. And on this date in 2001, the New York Stock Exchange reopened after the 9/11 attacks, the longest closure since the Great Depression.
Quote of the Day
“The chief business of the American people is business.”
Trivia of the Day
Who was the president of the United States when the stock market crashed in 1929?
Friday’s Answer: Matt Damon played Private Ryan in Saving Private Ryan.