1. Today, heavy showers are likely and thunderstorms are possible, with a high near 75, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, showers again are likely with a thunderstorm possible, and a low around 69, according to the service.
2. Recently, , a Republican who is challenging State Rep. Betsy Ritter in the 38th District this November, secured $25,000 in state funds to run his campaign.
Siragusa . This year he secured $25,000 from the state’s Citizens’ Election Program to run his campaign against Ritter, according to The Day.
Siragusa had to raise $5,000 from Waterford and Montville residents to be eligible for the $25,000 state grant, according to The Day. Siragusa lives in Montville, and the 38th District covers all of Waterford and part of Montville. Ritter has held the office since 2004.
3. Today, Fr. Dennis Carey, the former head pastor of Waterford’s , will appear in court on a charge of first-degree child pornography.
after police found more than 300 files of child pornography on computers owned by Carey inside the Roman Catholic church. According to court records, Carey told police he was addicted to child pornography, and at a July court appearance Carey
At his last court appearance, Carey put in . He will appear in court this morning in New London Superior Court at 10.
4. Recently, the state gave taxpayer dollars to to upgrade the restrooms at the camp. The Waterford camp is for people with disabilities.
“Camp Harkness is one of the jewels in Connecticut’s state park system simply because of its dedicated purpose – its 100 acres of woods, marshes, and beaches are well-equipped with cabins, picnic areas, and many other amenities,” said State Sen. Andrea Stillman, D-Waterford, who helped secure the taxpayer dollars for the facility. “It’s imperative the state maintain adequate restroom facilities in the park and this grant will ensure the state lives up to that responsibility.”
5. On this date in 1998, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University, founded Google. And on this date in 1972, swimmer Mark Spitz became the first man to win seven gold medals in one Olympics.
Quote of the Day
“When your work speaks for itself, don’t interrupt.”
Trivia of the Day
Who lived at 221B, Baker Street, London?
Yesterday’s Answer: James Buchanan was president when South Carolina seceded in 1860.