1. Today there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1 p.m., and then it should turn sunny with a high near 70, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be clear, with a low around 48, according to the service.
2. Tuesday night, the Representative Town Meeting approved a $345,773 appropriation – all of which will be paid for by East Lyme – to the replace the sewer line from Logger Hill Road to B Lane.
The project is an extension of the ongoing work to replace the sewer line on Logger Hill Road. East Lyme pays Waterford money to maintain the sewers, as Waterford maintains lines that carry the sewage from East Lyme to New London, and the money collected from East Lyme will be used to fund the extension, Utility Commission Chief Engineer Neftali Soto said.
Soto said the Logger Hill work should be done by the beginning of October, and the replacement of the B Lane line will take another two-and-a-half weeks, at most. The B Lane work will not interfere with traffic very much, like the Logger Hill Road work is now, Soto said.
The contractor, Revoli Construction of Massachusetts, will dig holes at either end of the pipe and than replace the line, Soto said. The line runs under the ground diagonally from the end of Logger Hill Road to the middle of B Lane, instead of under the road, he said.
3. Well we have a new section on Patch that is really very helpful.
The section, called Grocery Specials, is under the “More Stuff” header on the main page (click here to access it). Basically, there is a list of all the grocery stores in the area, and it will give you all the coupons and deals at those stores. You can search by item and actually form a shopping list, and then print them all out.
4. It is just about flu season, and the Ledge Light Health District has scheduled several flu shot clinics. Most health care providers do cover flu shots, but if yours does not or you don’t have insurance flu shots cost $15 and flu mists are $20. Also, flu shots and flu mists are free for children six to 59 months old.
The first clinic is this Saturday at Connecticut College and they continue until November 19. For the full schedule, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1995, The Washington Post and The New York Times both published the Unabomber’s manifesto. That led to the Unabomber’s brother recognizing the style of writing and realizing it was his brother, Ted Kaczynski. And on this date in 1981, Simon and Garfunkel reunited for a free concert in New York’s Central Park.
Quote of the Day
“Don’t want to end up a cartoon, in a cartoon graveyard.”
Trivia of the Day
What celebrity starred in the “You Can Call Me Al” music video with Paul Simon?
Yesterday’s Answer: Italy was the largest producer of wine in the world in 2010, just beating out France.