1. Today drizzle is expected in the morning, and then scattered showers and thunderstorms are expected throughout the day, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low around 55, according to the service.
2. There is some good news and bad news for people who like food and who go to the Crystal Mall.
The bad news is Meyer’s Deli is no longer within the Crystal Mall’s food court. For those who never ate there, it was really good, with Patch food critic Michael Costanza giving it rave reviews.
The good news is, according to a sign posted on the spot the place will eventually be, Frogeez Frozen Yogurt is coming to the Crystal Mall soon. Frogeez is a self-service frozen yogurt shop.
3. Some notes about a little revival for Quaker Hill.
First off, if you noticed our headline story of the day, there is a new coffee shop where the Bob’s Bait & Tackle used to be. Also, the Getty gas station that has been closed has reopened, and a Henny Penny gas station is just about to open there as well. So once again, that strip along Route 32 is filling back up.
4. There is a benefit that starts tonight at Ruby Tuesday for the Waterford Drama Scholarship Fund.
Starting tonight and running until Saturday, just go to Ruby Tuesday and show your server the flyer attached to this event – you can either show the server it on your phone or print it out – and a percentage of the meal will go to a scholarship for WATERFORDrama students. Plus, I would say Ruby’s Boston Blue Burger is the best cheeseburger at any chain restaurant, so have a great meal and help out a great cause.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1997, the second largest cash robbery in United States history took place when thieves stole $17.3 million in cash from the office of Loomis, Fargo and Company in Charlotte, North Carolina. An FBI investigation eventually led to the recovery of 95 percent of the cash that was taken and 24 convictions.
And on this date in 1957, Leave It To Beaver premiered on CBS.
Quote of the Day
“A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.”
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
Trivia of the Day
What 18-year-old pop star’s mom recently released a book entitled “Nowhere but Up”?
Yesterday’s Answer: Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy was attacked in 2003 by a tiger during one of his Las Vegas performances.