1. Today there is a chance of showers, with a high around 72, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 53, according to the service.
2. Tonight, the Representative Town Meeting meets at 7:30 for its regular bi-monthly meeting to discuss, among other things, a 6.28 percent increase in the town’s sewer rates.
The Utility Commission is asking for the change after the commission’s cost of processing sewage – a cost out of its control – increased by more than 60 percent last year. The RTM has to approve the proposal for it to take effect.
The meeting is open to the public and there is time for public comment at the meeting. To learn more about the sewer rate increase, click here.
3. At the Board of Education meeting Thursday night, Assistant Superintendent Craig Powers discussed what policies the district would be looking to change in the upcoming school year.
Perhaps the most interesting was a change to the policy regarding use of private technology devices for students. Powers said that once the new high school is open, the district could consider allowing students to use their own electronic devices – namely smart phones and tablets – in school. The policy will have to be approved by the Board of Education’s policy committee and the Board of Education itself before being implemented.
4. Just a heads up about Waterford’s Class of 2013 first ever 5k Turkey Trot, which runs on November 17 at Great Neck School.
The event benefits both the Class of 2013 and the Kelsey Harrington Foundation, as Kelsey Harrington would have graduated this year. The cost is $20 per person. People are encouraged to wear their best Thanksgiving-themed costume to the trot, so it should be a fun event.
For a registration form for the event, click here.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1971, Walt Disney World opened just outside of Orlando, Florida. Eleven years later, on this same day in 1982, EPCOT Center opened within the park.
And on this date in 1957, the expression “In God We Trust” made its first appearance on United States’ currency.
Quote of the Day
“Do not wait to strike till the iron is hot; but make it hot by striking.”
-William Butler Yeats
Trivia of the Day
Who were Tom Cruise’s three wives? How old were they all when he divorced them?
Friday’s Answer: Thomas Jefferson was the first United States Secretary of State, and John Jay was the first United States Supreme Court Justice.