1. Today, there is a slight chance of showers with a high near 58, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly cloudy, with a low around 43, according to the service.
2. People talk, and Patch and the town listen.
of a broken platform that overhangs a brook behind Oswegatchie School (pictured). Their troop leader Suzanne Lord sent an e-mail to Patch about the project, saying she hoped it would get fixed before somebody got hurt.
Patch showed the picture to First Selectman Dan Steward Monday, who said he would get somebody to fix the platform. The platform was originally built as part of an Eagle Scout project in 1991, but has since been vandalized, Lord said.
3. Tonight there is an anti-bullying parent workshop at Clark Lane Middle School at 7.
The workshop will tell parents what to do if their child is being bullied, and what are the warning signs to look for to know if their child is being bullied. Marta Koonz, a professional life coach at One Caring Adult, will run the workshop.
The workshop beings at 7 in Clark Lane Middle School’s cafeteria. The event is sponsored by the Waterford Parents’ Liaison Council.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
4. The reported Monday that it had its strongest year ever in 2011, earning profits of $8.4 million, according to The Day.
The credit union made $4.9 million in profit in 2010, according to The Day. The credit union’s assets now exceed $700 million for the first time, according to The Day.
The credit union with groundbreaking slated for the fall, according to Charter Oak Chief Executive Brian Orenstein. The credit union has 12 offices across eastern Connecticut.
5. On this date in 1704, the first regular newspaper in the United States is published in Boston. The paper was called the News-Letter. And on this date in 1907, Hersheypark opens in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Originally, the park was meant just for employees of the Hershey Chocolate Company.
Quote of the Day
“A horse never runs so fast as when he has other horses to catch up and outpace.”
Trivia of the Day
What was 300-game winner Phil Niekro’s trademark pitch?
Yesterday’s Answer: The lead singer of Pearl Jam is Eddie Vedder.