1. Today should be sunny, with a high near 69, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight should be mostly clear, with a low around 46, according to the service.
2. A preliminary application has been received by the Waterford planning department to turn 377 Rope Ferry Road, formerly the Moby Dick's location, into a banquet hall and restaurant, according to a report by Town Planner Mark Wujtewicz.
The plan is for a three-story structure, with the banquet hall able to hold 480 people, according to the report. The bottom floor would be a dressing room for a bride, the second room would be the banquet hall and the third floor would be a restaurant, according to the report.
Wujtewicz said it was is a preliminary application, meaning it is just in the hands of the town staff as well as state agencies, which will review it and then give comments on the plan. Then, after the applicant makes any necessary changes, they can officially submit to the Planning and Zoning Commission, Wujtewicz said.
3. The Toy Vault has opened a new store on the upper level of the Crystal Mall, just outside of JC Penney, according to the Crystal Mall’s Facebook page.
The Toy Vault was already inside the mall on the lower level just past the food court, but now has a new spot on the second level. The store sells new and vintage toys, comics and more, according to the mall’s Facebook page.
4. This evening at 6 is Waterford High School’s back-to-school night, and the last back-to-school night of the year (the other schools had them earlier).
Also, just as a heads up, there is no school on Wednesday, Sept. 26, for Yom Kippur. And also as a heads up, for those of you interested in Waterford High School’s sports, we ran our first "Sport Report" column Wednesday at noon. The column runs every Wednesday at noon and gives a synopsis of the week in Waterford sports.
If there are any parents out there who are going to these games anyway and are taking pictures, we would love for you to post quick recaps on our sites. Other Patches in the area have parents do this, to great success, and we had several parents to do it for Waterford’s softball and baseball programs over the summer. also to great success. If you would like to contribute stories, we would love to have them. E-mail me (email@example.com) or call (860-287-5265) and I’ll get you set up.
While I would appreciate it, I believe the community and the team would really appreciate it. And it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just some photos and the score.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 2011, the United States military ends its “Don’t ask, don’t tell” policy, allowing openly gay people to serve in the military for the first time. And on this date in 1973, Billie Jean King defeated Bobby Riggs in the “Battle of the Sexes" tennis match.
Quote of the Day
“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.”
Trivia of the Day
Big props if you get this one, as it references perhaps the most obscure American president. On this date in 1881, what man was inaugurated as the 21st President of the United States after James Garfield was assassinated?
Yesterday’s Answer: Chevy Chase starred with Paul Simon in the music video “You Can Call Me Al.”