1. Today there is a slight chance of showers in the morning and a slightly better chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon, with a high near 82, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 71, according to the service.
2. A lesson in public relations doublespeak.
On Monday, the Crystal Mall via their Boston public relations firm sent out a press release entitled “Crystal Mall Announces New Stores,” saying the mall was excited to welcome four new stores this summer – Eblens, Toy Vault Inc, Education Works and Metro PCS. saying the mall is bringing in four new stores.
Well, the e-mails and Facebook comments came in (and so did Patch’s memory), with many people saying that some of those stores have been at the mall for a long time. They were right. Toy Vault Inc, Education Works and Metro PCS are already at the mall, they are just relocating within the Crystal Mall. The sole new store to be coming to the mall this summer will be Eblens, which is set to open in August.
3. Some events coming up at the today and Friday.
First, today, like most Thursdays, is Fantastic Friends at 10 a.m., which is a story time for children 3-and-up. The library today is also playing the film “The Last of the Mohicans” at 2 p.m. and 6:30 p.m.
But what should be a cool event on Friday is the “Dream Big! Draw Big” chalk drawing event at the library at 2 p.m. People will be given area in the front parking lot to draw pictures with chalk, which will be provided by the library. Winners will be announced at 2:45 p.m.
4. The Conservation Commission meets tonight at 7 in Town Hall, and has a busy agenda.
The group will review an application by Robert Nauta to put in five single-family homes at 15 Laurelcrest Drive, accept a new application to modify and re-issue its permit and to look over an application by Millstone Power Station to install more spent fuel store containers on-site.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1948, President Harry Truman signed an executive order that desegregated the military. And on this date in 1951, Walt Disney’s "Alice in Wonderland" premiered in London.
Quote of the Day
“Be yourself. The world worships the original.”
Trivia of the Day
In "Alice in Wonderland", what animal is found sitting on a mushroom and smoking a hookah?
Yesterday’s Answer: The first five-star general of the United States Army was Horace Grant.