1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 83, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers and thunderstorms, with a low around 67, according to the service.
2. Perhaps some vindication for Mike Doyle, at least to some degree.
The state Senate candidate y during the primary elections after it violated the town’s zoning regulations. Doyle had his political sign up on Town Hall, but his election was not within 60 days so it violated Waterford’s zoning regulations and was removed. Doyle protested the removal, and after waiving the sign outside of Town Hall for awhile stuck it back into the ground, before finally getting rid of it for good.
Anyway, while his sign was in violation of Waterford’s zoning regulations, Waterford’s zoning regulations are most likely in violation of federal law, Waterford Town Attorney Rob Avena said. Having a rule that political signs can only be up 60 days before an election has been deemed a violation of the First Amendment in other cases, Avena said.
Instead, towns can regulate the size of the signs or if the signs can be put up at all, but can make no regulation regarding the content of the sign, he said. The zoning regulations will have to be reworked, Avena said.
3. Today, there is a yard sale at 6 White Oak Lane in Quaker Hill from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
A bigger message here though. Patch is reporting this yard sale after it was posted on our events calender, proving again that no event is too small for this community forum. I’m always reminded of the one announcement posted on Montville Patch where - one of my favorite posts ever.
So, whether you are having a yard sale in Quaker Hill, just set a family record in Boggle or successfully taught your son how to escape from the Camel Clutch, please post it on our website, either in the announcement section or on the event calender. We love that stuff. And I think the community does too.
4. Four new movies open tonight at .
The Expendables 2, starring a slew of action heroes, plays at 4:35, 6:50, 7:20, 9:35 and 10:05. The Odd Life of Timothy Green, a Disney movie starring Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton, plays at 4:25, 6:55 and 9:20. ParaNorman, a cartoon about zombies attacking a small town, plays at 7:25 and plays in 3D at 4:20 and 9:55. And Sparkle, a move about a struggling Motown singer, plays at 4, 7 and 9:50.
5. On this date in 2008, Michael Phelps became the first person to win eight gold medals in one Olympic Games. And on this date in 1998, President Bill Clinton admitted on live television he had a sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky.
Quote of the Day
“Ability will never catch up with the demand for it.”
Trivia of the Day
What is the only state with a one-syllable name?
Yesterday's Answer: There are many marsupials, but perhaps the most famous of them all is the kangaroo.