1. Today, there is a slight chance of showers, with a high around 50, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a 20 percent chance of rain, with a low around 29, according to the service.
2. Monday night, at the Ad Hoc Animal Shelter Facility Study Committee meeting (aka the group looking to build a new Waterford-East Lyme Animal Shelter), the group announced they have raised $116,845.45 for a new animal shelter.
Not that they are stoping there. Melissa Yuchniuk, the committee’s head of fundraising, said she is planning to sell Pandora charms for Mother’s Day to raise more money.
And now, , it has begun to focus on what the new animal shelter would look like. Waterford Police Lt. Jeff Nixon, a member of the group, said it is time to start finalizing a proposal.
“We have to do something,” Nixon said. “Let’s stop this sarcastic joking around about it, let’s make it move. Let’s make it move.”
3. The prosecution (or persecution, depending on who you talk to) of Andrew Malerba continues today, as he is scheduled to appear in court today at 10 a.m. in New London.
Malerba was arrested in January for illegal discharge of a firearm and second-degree breach of peace after he shot at a coyote on his property at around 2:15 a.m. He has since appeared in court, with his lawyer saying that his arrest was a violation of the Second Amendment.
For the full story, click here.
4. Tonight, the Board of Finance continues its budget reviews. This month, the Board of Finance will review all of the town department’s budget proposals for the 2013-14 fiscal year, and will make its final recommendation on March 28th. Right now, the proposed $81.96 budget for next year increases spending by 4.16 percent.
Tonight, the board will review the budgets for the Tax Collector, Assessor, Board of Assessment Appeals, Board of Selectmen, human resources, the finance department and the legal budget.
The meeting is open to the public. As always, there is time for public comment at the beginning of the meeting.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1991, it was announced that Exxon agreed to pay $1 billion for the clean up of the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska. And on this date in 1639, Harvard College was named for clergyman John Harvard.
Quote of the Day
“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking the laws.”
Trivia of the Day
Who were Tom Cruise’s three wives?
Yesterday’s Answer: Fred Wilpon, the majority owner of the New York Mets, was one of the many victims of the Bernie Madoff scam.