1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high around 64, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight there is a chance of showers, with a low around 50, according to the service.
2. It is a day late, but happy Veterans Day. Thank you for all who have served. In recognition of the holiday, there is no school today and all non-essential government offices are closed, including Waterford Town Hall.
3. The pot for a new animal shelter continues to grow and grow. According to the minutes from the November 5th meeting of the Animal Control Facility Study Ad Hoc Committee, the group has raised $92,034.95 as of the end of September. That doesn’t include all the fundraising since, which includes tickets for an upcoming comedy show on November 16th.
4. Santa Claus will be at the Crystal Mall starting Tuesday, and will stay until Christmas Eve. There is an upcoming day for people to take their pets to get a picture with Santa, which we will have a date for soon.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1997, Ramzi Yousef was found guilty of masterminding the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. And on this date in 1979, in the middle of the Iran hostage crisis where Iranians held 52 Americans hostage in the American Embassy in Tehran, President Jimmy Carter orders a halt on all petroleum into the Untied States from Iran.
Quote of the Day
“Advertising is the greatest art form of the 20th century.”
Trivia of the Day
What was the legendary supercontinent that started the earth called?
Friday’s Answer: Joe Lieberman was proceeded by Republican Lowell Weicker in the Senate.