1. Today should be mostly sunny, with a high near 58, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a slight chance of showers, with a low around 40, according to the service.
2. Some news from the Ad Hoc Animal Control Facility Study Committee, or as it is also known, the group trying to
The group has raised $40,251.73 as of February 29, according to the committee’s minutes from their March 19th meeting. That figure does not include a possible who died last year and left half of his estate to the shelter. That money is still in probate court, according to Animal Control Officer Robert Yuchniuk.
At the March 19th meeting, the group met with East Lyme First Selectman Paul Formica. Formica said he is looking to have Old Lyme join in with East Lyme and Waterford for animal control, according to meeting minutes. Also, Formica said under this new model the animal control officer could be assisted with part-time employees and even the Department of Corrections, according to meeting minutes.
Formica also said the new plans for the shelter, which are around $500,000, far less expensive are far more realistic, according to meeting minutes. Formica also said he would be more involved with the group, according to minutes.
Also at the meeting, resigned from the committee.
3. Clamming season has officially begun. As of April 1, people can now buy clamming licenses for both Jordan Cove and the Niantic River. Buy a clamming license,
4. There is a large pile of mulch at the for the public, according to Public Works Director Ron Cusano. The mulch is free to all Waterford residents, and people can come whenever the transfer station is open for a scoop, he said.
5. On this date in 33, at least according to most, is the date Jesus Christ was crucified. And on this date in 1996, Ted Kaczynski, aka the “Unabomber,” is arrested in his cabin in Montana.
Quote of the Day
“A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he does not love her.”
Trivia of the Day
Oscar Wilde was sent to jail after being convicted of what?
Yesterday’s Answer: The annual Fourth of July hot dog eating contest is held each year at Coney Island.