1. Today, there is a chance of showers, with a high near 69, according to the National Weather Service. Tonight, there is a slight chance of showers, with a low around 58, according to the service.
2. Tonight, the Utility Commission meets at 6 at the . The commission is looking into putting a sunset clause in the grinder pump ordinance that would make homeowners responsible for the pumps.
Full explanation: the utility commission originally installed grinder pumps as it installed sewer lines. Grinder pumps pump sewage uphill if the sewer connection to a building or house is below the town's sewer line. There are several hundred of these grinder pumps around town.
The original ordinance said the Waterford Utility Commission would maintain the grinder pumps unless there was a change in ownership at the house. The maintenance on the pumps can be expensive, to the tune of several thousand dollars per visit.
Now the utility commission is looking into changing that ordinance, and making homeowners responsible for their own grinder pumps after a certain date. The commission will discuss that idea tonight.
3. Tonight is , beginning at 7:30 at Waterford High School. Bands, choruses and orchestras will all be on display. For more information, click here.
4. A Patch shout out to these Waterford students, who graduated from Quinnipiac University on May 20th: Michael A. Platz, with a bachelor of science in health and science studies; Danica L. Sanders, with a bachelor of science in nursing; and Kathryn E. Lanzarotto, with a bachelor of arts in political science.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
5. On this date in 1992, Johnny Carson hosted The Tonight Show for the last time. Carson held the post for 30 years. And on this date in 1856, Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina beat Senator Charles Sumner with a cane in the hall of the United States Senate after Sumner gave a speech against slavery.
Quote of the Day
“Luck is believing you are lucky.”
Trivia of the Day
What are the names of President Barack Obama’s two children?
Yesterday’s Answer: The young pirate couldn’t watch the movie because it was rated rrrrrrrrrr.